Roster of VC-27(I)
The men of VC-27.
FM-2 PILOTS (33)
Lt(jg) Robert C. Ashcraft
ASS'T ENGINEERING OFFICER
"So I says to the Admiral....."
Lt(jg) Frederick W. Barnett
ASS'T COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
"Corpus Christi ain't Texas."
Ens Paul J. Barrow
"Dammit, I don't see why."
Ens Robert H. Cockle
Hope, North Dakota
"Do I hafta get a haircut right now, John?"
Lt(jg) George H. Davidson
Lake Como, Florida
ASS'T OPERATIONS OFFICER
"Now, Commander, about those 600 landings"
Ens R. H. Dorman
ASS'T ENGINEERING OFFICER
"I can't help it if I'm always happy."
Lt Ralph E. Elliott
"Captain, there's just one thing I'd like to bring up."
Ens Thomas S. Mackie
ASS'T NAVIGATION OFFICER
"Can Jim's division use all recognition lights?"
Ens James J. Manfrin
Clarendon Hills, Illinois
Lt(jg) Donald A. McPherson
BUILDING AND GROUNDS OFFICER
"Well, she's only eighteen."
Lt(jg) Joseph J. Miller
New York City
"Where did you guys rendezvous this morning?"
Lt Roger J. Mulcahy
"Know him? Why I shaved his father."
Lt James L. Naftzgar
"Now the way we done it aboard ship."
Ens Robert E. Pfeifer
ASS'T MATERIAL OFFICER
"Now look here, Andrew."
Ens William S. Pinson
Greenwood, South Carolina
"Boy, if my Grandaddy could see me now."
Lt(jg) Andrew T. Price
ASS'T MATERIAL OFFICER
"They looked just like FM's 'till I joined up."
Ens Hallie F. Roberts
"Yeah, my watch is waterproof." (Splash)
Lt John T. Ross
Lackawanna, New York
"John, I says, this is no place for you."
Ens Edward J. Schalk
Syracuse, New York
ASS'T MATERIAL OFFICER
"So I said, 'That's my coconut - sir'."
Lt(jg) Robert C. Shape
"You'd be surprised how much you learn about planes working on them
Lt(jg) Benjamin T. Smith
Rockingham, North Carolina
ASS'T GUNNERY OFFICER
"If it hadn't been for South Carolina, we'd won the War."
Lt(jg) Wilton O. Stubbs
WAR BOND OFFICER
"Boogie at 1 o'clock up, 10 1/2 miles, angels 6.3."
Lt(jg) August F. Uthoff
Webster Grove, Missouri
ASS'T PHOTOGRAPHIC OFFICER
"You don't get what I mean."
Lt(jg) Charles M. Vehorn
ASS'T WELFARE OFFICER
"I have scarcely been in the sack all day."
Ens Frederick L. Vocke
Downers Grove, Illinois
"Well, it's not exactly a tavern."
- Ashcraft, Robert C., Lt(jg) - Assistant Photo Officer
- Bain, Edwin J., Lt [KIA]
- Barnett, Frederick W., Lt(jg) - Assistant communications Officer
- Barrow, Paul J., Ens*
- Bridges, Jack, Ens [KIA]
- Cockle, Robert H. "Bob", Ens*
- Davidson, George Howard,
- Lt(jg) - Assistant operations Officer
- Dorman, R. H., Ens - Assistant Engineering Officer
- Elliott, Ralph Earle Jr., Lt. - FM-2 Division Leader
- Leighty, Frank M. "Mo", Lt(jg) [not pictured]
- Mackie, Thomas Sterling, Ens - Assistant Navigation Officer
- Manfrin, James J. "Jim", Ens*
- Mayhew, Ralph Abbott., Ens [KIA]
- McPherson, Donald A., Lt(jg) - Buildings and Grounds Officer
- Miller, Joseph J. "Joe", Lt(jg)*
- Moelter, Fred Joseph, Ens [KIA]
- Mulcahy, Roger J., Lt - Material Officer
- Naftzger, James L. "Jim", Lt
- Pfeifer, Robert Edward "Bob" Ens* - Assistant Materials Officer
- Pinson, William S., Ens
- Price, Andrew T., Lt(jg) - Assistant Materials Officer
- Roberts, Hallie F. "Hal", Ens*
- Ross, John T., Lt - Gunnery officer
- Ross, Sterling Paul, Ens [KIA]
- Schalk, Edward J. "Red", Ens* - Assistant Materials Officer [joined Nov 16]
- Shape, Robert C. "Bob", Lt(jg)* [joined Nov 10]
- Smith, Benjamin T. "Ben", Lt(jg)* - Assistant Gunnery Officer
- Snyder, Charles William, Ens [KIA]
- Spivey, James T., Ens [KIA]
- Stubbs, Wilton Odell, Lt(jg) - War Bond Officer (wingman to Ashcraft)
- Uthoff, August F., Lt(jg) - Assistant Parachute Officer
- Vehorn, Charles Melvinpu, Lt(jg) - Assistant Welfare Officer
- Vocke, Frederick L. "Fred", Ens* [joined Nov 16]
* Member of the "Rover Boys" who joined VC-27 in early November.
TBM PILOTS (18)
Ens Carroll E. Aldrich
ASS'T PHOTO OFFICER
"It is easier with your eyes open."
Lt Soule T. Bitting
Grand Haven, Michigan
Torpedo Flight Officer
"We have a little club like this back in Ohio"
Lt(jg) Samuel H. Blackwell
"It'll be something to have the first boy in the squadron."
Lt(jg) Albert R. Douglas
"I would like to ask one question"
Lt L. D. Egan
"Have you ever been in Sloppy Joe's in Hongkong?"
Ens Harold B. Harms
"I'm thoroughly disgusted."
Lt Goly R. Henry
"Horizontal, but a goin' Jessie!"
Ens Charles W. Iverson
ASS'T PARACHUTE OFFICER
"I have only one objection-"
Lt Cmdr Percival W. Jackson
Poughkeepsie, New York
Lt(jg) Bertram L. Lewis
Rochester, New York
"What time we leaving for Palm Springs tonight, Doug?"
Lt(jg) Laurence E. MacFawn
East Weymouth, Mass
"Now in the old Navy-"
Ens Richard W. Mansfield
ASS'T EDUCATION OFFICER
"I believe the L.S.O. - most of the time."
Lt(jg) R. N. Miller
"Do you want my autograph?"
Lt(jg) Claude C. Nathan
"Does everyone have his shackle?"
Lt(jg) William R. Peden
Westfield, New Jersey
"You can't buck City Hall."
Lt Robert H. Wand
Woodbridge, New Jersey
"The first thing I'm going to do when we hit the states is . . ."
Lt(jg) John M. Yeaman
ASS'T GUNNERY OFFICER
"When I was down on the Canal"
- Aldrich, Carroll E., Ens - Assistant Photo Officer
- Bitting, Soule Tryon, Lt - Torpedo Flight Officer (TBM Squad Leader)
- Blackwell, Samuel Hoyte "Sam", Lt(jg) (Bitting Squad)*
- Coleman, Maurice A., Lt [KIA]
- Douglas, Albert R., Lt(jg) - Navigation Officer
- Egan, L. D., Lt(jg)
- Harms, Harold B., Ens - Parachute Officer
- Henry, Goly R., Lt - TBM Division Leader
- Iverson, Charles W., Ens - Assistant Parachute Officer
- Jackson, Percival W., Lt Cmdr - Captain of VC-27(I)
- Lewis, Bertram L. "Bert", Lt(jg) - Photographic Officer
- MacFawn, Laurence E., Lt(jg) - Engineering Officer
- Mansfield, Richard W., Ens - Assistant Education Officer
- Miller, R. N., Lt(jg)
- Nathan, Claude Clarence, Lt(jg) - Communications Officer
- Peden, William R. "Bill", Lt(jg) - Education Officer
- Wand, Robert H. "Bobbie", Lt(jg) - Welfare Officer
- Yeaman, John Mark, Lt(jg) - Communications Officer
* TBM pilots were assigned to "squads" of four planes.
Each squad had a squad leader.
These are noted where known.
TBM GUNNERS (20)
Left to right, front row: H. C. Larsen, AOM 2/c; Russell H. Ripley, AOM 2/c; D. H.
Simons, AOM 3/c; Lloyd J. LeBlanc, AOM 1/c; Floyd G. Norman, AMM 2/c; R. F.
Phillips, AOM 2/c; Wilfred J. Luecht, AOM 2/c; G. A. Lewis, AOM 2/c.
Back row: L. C. Weimer, AOM 1/c; W. W. Perkins, AOM 3/c; R. L. Morrison, AOM
2/c; Toby A. Turpen, AOM 1/c; Noel J. Bussey, AMM 2/c; C. Jacobsen, AOM 1/c; D.
M. Sawyer, AMM 3/c; Harold E. Roache, AMM 2/c; Jack E. Scholl, AMM 2/c.
Gunners (Alphabetical Listing)
- Bosworth, Collis AOM 3/c [not pictured]
- Bussey, Noel J., AMM 2/c (Nathan crew)
- Jacobsen, C. P., AOM 1/c
- Larsen, Henry C., AOM 2/c (Blackwell crew)
- LeBlanc, Lloyd J., AOM 1/c (Jackson crew)
- Lewis, G. A., AOM 2/c
- Luecht, Wilfred J., AOM 2/c (Wand crew)
- Morrison, R. L., AOM 2/c
- Norman, Floyd G. "Dude", AMM 2/c (Peden crew)
- Perkins, W. W., AOM 3/c
- Phillips, R. F., AOM 2/c
- Prusakowski, Joseph AMC 2/c (Coleman crew) [KIA]
- Ripley, Russell H., AOM 2/c (Harms crew)
- Roache, Harold E., AMM 2/c
- Sawyer, D. M., AMM 3/c
- Scholl, Jack E., AMM 2/c
- Seravalli, Anthony AMC 2/c [not pictured]
- Simons, D. H., AOM 3/c
- Turpen, Toby A., AOM 1/c (Henry crew)
- Weimer, L. C., AOM 1/c (Yeaman crew)
TBM RADIOMEN/GUNNERS (22)
Left to right, front row: R. J. McCray, ARM 3/c; Worley C. Spain, ARM 3/c; A. A.
Wilson, ARM 1/c; R. Snider, ACRM; Jimmie W. Dunn, ARM 1/c, Francis E. Daly, ARM 2/3;
G. H. Turner, ARM, 3/c; R. D. Heiling, ARM 3/c.
Back row: Roy G. Eshelman, ARM 3/c; S. C. Jones, ARM 2/c; Wesley
W. Hill, ARM 2/c; William Patrick Simmons, ARM 3/c; R. E. Dobyns, ARM 1/c;
Philip J. Yoder, ARM 3/c; Lionel Arceneaux, ARM 2/c; Harry R. Johnson, ARM 3/c; G.
W. Blessinger, ARM 3/c; C. S. Hogan, ARM 3/c.
Radiomen/Gunners (Alphabetical Listing)
- Arceneaux, Lionel, ARM 2/c (Lewis crew)
- Blessinger, G. W., ARM 3/c
- Daly, Francis E., ARM 2/c (MacFawn crew)
- Deadrick, William, ARM 2/c (Korum crew) [not pictured]
- Dobyns, R. E., ARM 1/c (Henry crew)
- Dunn, James W. "Jimmie", ARM 1/c (Harms crew)
- Eshelman, Roy G., ARM 3/c
- Heiling, R. D., ARM 3/c
- Hill, Wesley W., ARM 2/c (Bitting crew)
- Hogan, C. S., ARM 3/c (Yeaman crew)
- Johnson, Harry R., ARM 3/c (Blackwell crew)
- Jones, S. C., Jr., ARM 2/c
- McCray, R. J., ARM 3/c
- Servalli, Anthony T., ARM 3/c - (Coleman crew) [KIA]
- Simmons, William Patrick, ARM 3/c
- Snider R. H., ACRM (Jackson crew)
- Spain, Worley C., ARM 3/c
- Turner, G. H., ARM, 3/c
- Yoder, Philip J., ARM 3/c (Douglas crew)
- Wilson, A. A., ARM 1/c
- Ziman, Stephen, ARM 3/c (Peden crew) [not pictured]
Left to right: Nickolas E. Spies, ACMM; J. J. Trenka, AEM 1/c; J. T. Jackson, AMM
1/c; W. J. Pickett, PR 1/c; P. C. Warner, Y 2/c; G. A. Dalton, AMM 1/c; W.
S. Sinkiewicz, AMM 1/c, P. H. Walker, ART 1/c; William A. Moye, ACOM.
Ground Crew (Alphabetical Listing)
- Baldwin, Bill, Y 2/c (not pictured)
- Dalton, G. A., AMM 1/c, Aircraft mechanic
- Garofalo, Bill, Y 2/c (not pictured)
- Geiske, ___, AOM 1/c V-4 Ordnance mate (not pictured)
- Harlan, ___, Y 2/c (not pictured)
- Hawk, Carl L., ACMM, V-2 Hangar deck Chief Squadron/Ship Cartoonist (not pictured)
- Hylton, Olds, SMC 3/c, Instrument specialist (not pictured)
- Jackson, J. T., AMM 1/c, Aircraft mechanic
- Lindsey, James H., Y 2/c (not pictured)
- Moye, William A., ACOM, Ground crew chief
- Pickett, W. J. PR 1/c, V-2 Parachute rigger
- Sinkiewicz, W. S., AMM 1/c, Aircraft mechanic
- Spies, Nickolas E., ACMM, Flight deck chief
- Trenka, J. J., AEM 1/c, Aviation electrician
- Walker, P. H., ART 1/c, Aviation radio tech
- Warner, P. C., Y 2/c
Most of the initial members of the Ground Crew were later assigned to the U.S.S. Savo Island.
Lt(jg) Mason A. Butcher
"I'm sure it was O.K. when he took off, Commander."
Lt(jg) William L. Diffee
LANDING SIGNAL OFFICER
"Well, fellows, you're flying the planes, all I can do is throw you some signals."
Lt(jg) Forrest F. Glasgow
V-4 ORDNANCE OFFICER
"I'll load 'em, you drop 'em, and we'll all go home."
Lt Gwilyn B. Lewis
SQUADRON FLIGHT SURGEON
"El Mad Medico"
"Well, I'll need four volunteers."
Lt(jg) Edward E. Ludeman
ASS'T LANDING SIGNAL OFFICER
"Cut him high and fast, Dif, I'm running low."
Lt August C. Miller, Jr.
AIR COMBAT INTEL OFFICER
"This is it men. Are pilots ready?"
Lt(jg) Robert A. Pope
"See Warner, he'll fix you up."
Ens D. Dilbert Dog
NAAS Brown Field, California
"My kingdom for a tree."
- Brunsell, [Alan W.?], Ens - V-2 Hangar deck Officer [not pictured]
- Butcher, Mason A., Lt(jg) - Radar Officer
- Diffee, William L., Lt(jg) - Landing Signal Officer
- Glasgow, Forrest F., Lt(jg) - V-4 Ordnance Officer
- Lewis, Gwilyn B., Lt - Flight Surgeon
- Ludeman, Edward E. "Ed", Lt(jg) - Ass't Landing Signal Officer
- Miller, August C., Jr., Lt - Air combat Intel 0fficer
- Pope, Robert A., Lt(jg) - Administrative Officer
OTHER VC-27 ENLISTED PERSONNEL
- Hull, Don, AMM 1c, Jackson's plane captain
- Johnson, Carlton, AMM 2c, MacFawn's plane captain
- Cario, Adolph, AMM 1/c, V-2 Plane director
- Rado, Dan AMM 2/c, V-2 Flight deck director
- Renner, William AMM 2/c, V-2 Flight deck mechanic
- Gaylord, Arthur S 1/c, AMM, Ass't LSO
- Baughman, Jerry, SK 3/c , V-1 plane handler
- Bailey, Cliff, SMC 3/c, V-1 plane handler
- Carroll, Richard "Rich", S 1/c, V-1 plane handler
- Carlyle, Don, PR 2/c, V-2 Parachute rigger
- McKee, Leonardo, AEM 1/c, V-2 Aviation electrician
- Lovett, Jack, AEM 3/c, V-2 Aviation electrician
- Smith, William, AEM 3/c, V-2 Aviation electrician
- Lambos, Anton, AMM 1/c, V-2 Carburetor specialist
- Watling, Wayne, AMM 2/c, V-2 Hydraulic specialist
- Coffee, Owen, ACMM, V-2 Hangar deck Chief
- Quintel, Frank, ACMM, V-2 Hangar deck Chief
- Ingham, C. AMM, 1/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Jackson, J. AMM, 1/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Ridgeway, Bob, AMM 1/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Schumacher, Vernon, AMM 1/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Dinnocenza, Louis, AMM 2/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Estervig, Ray, AMM 2/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Pike, Don, AMM 2/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Sabocik, Mike, AMM 2/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Sluyter, Winfield, AMM 2/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Bonney, Leon, AMM 3/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Dunnocengo, Louis, AMM 3/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Fooley, Ken, AMM 3/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Kahle, Gene, AMM 3/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Lottey, John, AMM 3/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Richards, Robert, AMM 3/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Wallace, Pete, AMM 3/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Kelly, R. W., AM 2/c , V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Moore, William, AM 2/c , V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Staley, Vincent, AM 2/c , V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Henrie, Wayne, AM 3/c , V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Basher, Loren S., EM 1/c , V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Denoma, George, ACOM , V4 Ordnance Chief
- Onachilla, Thomas, AOM 1/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Bond, Troy A., AOM 2/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- King, Harry, AOM 2/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Williams, James, AOM 2/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Allen, Frederick, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Anderson, Richard, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Bass, German, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Bosworth, Collis, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Boysen, James, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Camden, Robert, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- George, Jack, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Lightner, Roy, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Lynch, Robert, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Prusky, Victor, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Robillard, Rolland, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Roessie, Robert, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Stover, Ray, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Sullivan, Gilbert, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Tucker, Robert, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- McDonald, N., S 1/c , V4 Ordnance Seaman
- Tillery, L., S 1/c , V4 Ordnance Seaman
- Wendling, Thomas, S 1/c , V4 Ordnance Seaman
- Wilson, W., S 1/c , V4 Ordnance Seaman
- Winn, Robert, S 1/c , V4 Ordnance Seaman
Assigned to CVE-78
- Hunt, Edward J., AMM 3/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Hyland, Glea L., AMM 3/c, V-2 Hangar deck mech
- Dyer, James, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Evans, Harold, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Hafner, John, AOM 3/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Hamilton, Douglas, AOM 2/c, V4 Ordnance Mate
- Cymmer, T., ART 1/c, Aviation Radio Tech
- Peterson, Soren, ART 1/c, Aviation Radio Tech
- Peterson, Vernon, ART 1/c, Aviation Radio Tech
- Brown, Dennis, TM 1/c , V4 Torpedoman
- Henry, Wesley, TM 2/c , V4 Torpedoman
- Keller, William, TM 2/c , V4 Torpedoman
- Braun, Richard, TM 3/c , V4 Torpedoman
- Foley, Thomas, TM 3/c , V4 Torpedoman
- Henderson, Donald, TM 3/c , V4 Torpedoman
- Knight, Paul, TM 3/c , V4 Torpedoman
- Urbanczyk, Joseph, TM 3/c , V4 Torpedoman
- Binder, Richard, S 1/c , Seaman
- Damitz, Irving, S 1/c , Seaman
- Dotson, Kermit, S 1/c , V-6 Catapult specialist
- Manhart, Arthur, S 1/c , Seaman
- Gladen, Orville J., S 2/c , Seaman
- Zuppa, Fred, S 2/c
- Donnenworth, Ken, Y 2/c, Signalman
- Johnson, Ross, Y 2/c
- Lucas, John, Y 2/c
- Nold, Jack, Y 2/c
- O'Neil, Raymond J., Y 2/c
- Dembicki, Harry, AOM 3/c, Ordnance Mate