VC-27 "The Saints"
The men of VC-27 include both the men of the original VC-27 and the men of the replacement squadron VC-27(II).
VC-27 was first established in November 1943. From July 1944 through January 1945, VC-27 was commanded by Lt Cmdr Percival Jackson and served aboard the U.S.S. Savo Island. In early November, 10 new pilots joined VC-27 (the "Rover Boys").
VC-27(II) was formed in March 1945 under the command of Lt Ralph Elliott, Jr.. VC-27(II) included some veterans of VC-27 and many new faces. The men of VC-27(II) had to endure all the hazards of training - including some fatalities. However, the war ended before they could join the fight.
The men include Avenger and FM-2 pilots, Avenger crews - gunners and radiomen, HQ staff and ground crews, including mechanics and ordnancemen. Most of the ground crews were eventually assigned to the ship, but remained part of the VC-27 family.